Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A classic tale from the year 2000

Do's and Don'ts

I used to work for a company that provided turn key systems with our software installed and configured on it. We were a small company, and before i came on the Support And Installation department had a bad reputation for poor qaulity. The owner had laid off all of the department for incompetence, except for Kieth, who was our Senoir Support Technician. That was when I got hired on. One day a new customer called. I recognized the customer's name, because he had been in our office for training the week before, and I had built his system for him. He took it with him when he left on Friday. It was Monday. I knew something was wrong. Here is how the conversation went: (M=Me;K=Kieth;C=Customer)

M: Thank you for calling ******* Software, This is Chris, how can I help you?
C: Good Morning Chris, This is ***** with ******. Listen Chris, I was told by other owners that I shouldn't have baught from you guys, but I did anyways. They told me you would forget something, and mess up my order. I took a chance and you guys screwed up.
M: OK Sir, whatever it is I am sure we can fix it, just tell me what is wrong.
C: You forgot to send me my "Don'ts" book.
M: [I mute the phone and turn to Keith] Kieth do we have a "Don'ts" book that we send with our systems now??
K: Not that I am aware of.
M: [I unmute the phone] Sir, there isn't a "Don'ts" book we send with our systems.
C: Look, don't try to play games with me, you sent me my "Do's" book. I want my "Don'ts" book.
M: [I mute the phone and turn to Keith] Kieth do we have a "Do's" book that we send with our systems now??
K: Nope, don't have that either.
M: [I unmute the phone] Sir, we don't send a "Do's" book with our systems either.
C: Look Chris, I am holding it in my hand so don't try to tell me you don't send them out. D O S "Do's" now I want my "Don'ts"
M: Sir, That is DOS, it is the abbreviation for Disk Operating System. It's a Microsoft product that enables your computer to work.
C: Oh, Sorry for the misunderstanding.

The customer then abruptly hung up, and never called again. I got the feeling that if his computer was on fire he wouldn't have called.

Thanks to: Chris Hockenberry

From www.techtales.com

No comments:

Post a Comment